Fresh and spicy pico de gallo salsa is a great addition to any Mexican dish and it is Whole30 compliant. Use tangy vinegar for a different twist on an old favorite.
Simple and Healthy Pico de Gallo Salsa
No matter what your menu is for Cinco de Mayo, it should include pico de gallo. We always have it with carne asada. Yet, pico de gallo (literally meaning rooster’s beak) is so good and easy to make that you’ll want to make it all the time.
This type of salsa is sometimes referred to as “salsa Mexicana” or “salsa fresca”. It is made with a mix of vibrant red tomatoes, spicy jalapeños, crisp white onions, and fresh cilantro.
Because of the use of all those fresh ingredients, it is extremely healthy. When my husband and I recently did the Whole30 diet, we made this Whole30 compliant salsa all the time. We ate it with everything from salads to chicken to fish to eggs. It is just that good!
Preparing Pico de Gallo
When choosing your ingredients, be sure to select ripe tomatoes for the best flavor. Also, I like to use two jalapeños, but you can always add an extra one or one less depending on your spice preference.
Making the salsa is extremely easy. To prepare, simply medium dice all the ingredients and mix together in a large bowl.
Most people make this fresh salsa with lime juice and sometimes we do too. However, my mom taught me to use a splash or two of white vinegar instead of lime, and I actually prefer this taste.
I hope you enjoy!
Do you have any tasty twists to this salsa Mexicana ? Share your comments with me below.
Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium jalapeños
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime (can also use a splash of white vinegar, see notes)
- Medium dice the jalapeños, tomatoes and onion and add to a bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro.
- Add the juice of half of a lime.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve as a salsa atop of tacos, salads or any cut of meat. Can also be served as a side dish or as a dip with chips.
- I do not add salt to the pico de gallo as I like to have each person salt their own to their preferred taste.
- Instead of lime juice, a splash or two of white vinegar can be used. It gives the salsa a bit of a different taste but is also quite delicious.
My Amazon Picks